Maple Knoll Village and The University of Cincinnati
Maple Knoll Village, a continuing care retirement community, is proud to be a leader in innovative services, accommodations and care. A formal collaboration with The University of Cincinnati has brought intergenerational relationships, opportunities to age in place, telehealth services and more to the halls of Maple Knoll. The collaboration, combined with renovated living accommodations and a full calendar of social, educational and recreational events, allows Maple Knoll to be in the forefront of care in the community as we head into our 171st year in existence!
The collaboration is based on a 35-year history of working together in nursing, medical, and pharmacy education and practice. In 2012, through a partnership with the UC College of Nursing, a villa on the campus of Maple Knoll was transformed into a learning and test environment for the development of technologies aimed at keeping seniors in their own homes or communities longer. The house serves as a location for experiential learning for students and volunteers in health care fields, engineering and other related areas. The Innovation Collaboratory is home to telehealth robots and patient simulators, and is now the testing ground for innovative student projects aimed at detecting falls, preventing medication errors and making life easier for an aging population. This partnership was renewed in May of 2018 for five years.
This unique partnership has the potential to:
- Facilitate intraprofessional faculty and student innovation to create new technology, products, and systems. Involve consumers in systems and technology development to ensure person-centered approaches
- Reduce the cost of aging in place by creating more cost effective systems that are affordable to older adults
- Substantially improve the quality of life at home for caregivers and older adults
- Provide interprofessional, evidence-based education on assisting older adults while leveraging technology for health monitoring and assistance
- Provide access to expert care from any location
- Lower Hospital readmission rates
- Allow for hands on education, interviews and practice with students and residents
- Create opportunities for established businesses to test products that have the potential to improve quality of life and maintain independence
- Create a national "Home Stabilization" call system that will generate 100s of jobs for Ohioans
Affiliation Vision Statement: We will shape the future of healthcare and promote the best lifestyle possible for older adults.
Affiliation Mission Statement: Create a nationally recognized interdisciplinary learning partnership for students, faculty, practitioners, employees, and researchers that strives to enhance the quality of care and services for older adults. We will further the missions of the University of Cincinnati and Maple Knoll Communities by fostering a sustainable program of innovation, research, and practice.
For more information on the Maple Knoll and University of Cincinnati Collaboration please call 513.782.2423.